I have been battling this foot problem for many weeks now. The week after training camp I just kept running through it and it eventually was causing too much pain. Even worse it was causing issues with my right knee and left calf from changing my stride. Had 2 horrible runs last weekend and decided to lay off the foot for a while.
It was a long week w/o being able to run at all. I did get in about 125 miles on the stationary bike throughout the week but it was a real battle considering it was supposed to be a big week before taper time. I went to the Dr on Thursday and a Podiatrist on Friday. He gave me a cortisone shot and both Dr's agreed it was Morton's Nueroma in the right foot. It was the first time I have gone to a Dr for a running related injury. I really didn't have a choice though, there is now way I could completely stop running for 4 weeks before Western States. I also got some prescription meds for inflammation.
I was glad the Dr's were very understanding of what I was up against. I told them I just needed to figure out how to get through Western States then I will take off however long is needed to recover. I am going back in 2 weeks to get another dose of cortisone the night before we leave for Cali. Hopefully it will be able to get me through.
Yesterday I finally gave in and went out for a leisurely 3hr heat run about 1pm. I stayed in town but ran mostly in in the grass along the sidewalks and paved trails. The foot was hurting but I am just going to have to deal with it and try not to overdo it. Still messing around with insole modifications trying to figure what works best. I felt some what dead legged for most of the run but it felt good to run none the less. This morning I went up to the gym and did 1 hr on the treadmill with an extra long sleeve shirt on for a little more heat time.
One the positive side I have been doing a stellar job on my weight and am about right where I want to be. Ate super clean the last 10 days and I am about as lean as I can get without loosing more muscle. Hopefully everything will work out for me, I am really trying to keep a positive attitude while getting through this foot issue. My main concern is finding the best way to take the pressure off my Nueroma while not causing any blisters and other foot issues at the same time, still a work in progress.
Anyways, I am going to try and get in a decent week and go with a shorter taper of 10-12 days since I didn't run for 6 days last week. If the foot bothers me too much that will change but I hope for the best.